10.08.2013

The Radon Racket



There’s nothing like selling your house to find out how many rackets there are.

Take the radon racket. 

I know what you’re going to say. Radon kills. It seems that the number is 20,000 a year. Statistically insignificant (unless it’s me).  

We have not required radon mitigation when we bought a house and I actually refused to do it once when I sold a house, something I wouldn’t get away with today. But as I said at the time, the couple we bought the house from nearly a decade before were still alive and well in a retirement community and she did all of the laundry in the basement. What's to fear?

The people buying our current house wanted radon mitigation and even though we have a walkout basement with windows, what could I say? 

My real estate agent pointed out that the house was already piped for mitigation so not to worry.
The radon mitigator shows up and he’s making a mess. I ask him how it’s going and he reveals that he must replace all of the piping because the original piping is cheap and won’t do. 

I don’t know if that’s going to increase my cost but I’m now kicking myself for standing on my principle and not demanding a radon check from the previous owner. He bought the house brand new so he wouldn’t have had a radon check done.

And our next house is being built as we speak. Maybe I should do a radon check.

(Next: The illegal connection to the sewer line)

2 comments:

  1. Recent residential studies have now confirmed that exposure to high radon concentration in a household carries with it severe health risks. Until recently, the general perception held by most Canadians was that problems concerning radon were limited to remote communities and even then it was not that serious an issue. We now know that this is not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A descriptive about Radon Testing Cincinnati is really fantastic. Thanks for sharing your blog.

    ReplyDelete