6.26.2012

A Real Book Barn

When I first announced my photo project about Pennsylvania barns, one of my former journalism students quipped: Does Pottery Barn count?

He was playing off the commercialization of the word "barn," not the literal barn. There are variations of Pottery Barn and not one of the businesses is in a barn. I saw a Dress Barn in a shopping mall in Southbury, Connecticut, the other day.

However, there's an exception.

That would be Canaday's Book Barn in Carlisle, which I photographed right after the Lebanon Valley barn tour and the McPherson barn in Gettysburg.

If you go to the link, you'll learn that the owner, Ted Canaday, converted the barn into a bookstore. He has done an excellent job of retaining the barn's internal features, from the plan floor to the post and beams. He did add a loft and reused lumber from the granary to create restrooms. He did have to meet building codes.

He gave me a tour and I snapped several photos but I do want to go back when I have more time and using my wide-angle lens and a tripod, take more photos so you can see the internal barn structure as Ted has restored it.

No comments:

Post a Comment